Saturday 27 February 2010

CD: RING OF FIRE -THE LEGEND OF JOHNNY CASH (SONY, 2005)

Sometimes there comes a time in your life when you're just ready for something that you weren't before. By and large, Country Music is something that's barely on the periphery of my vision, though there is always the odd song which catches the attention and I don't mind the odd bit of country-rock (cf The Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo), but for some reason I just felt I needed to have a Johnny Cash CD, as long as it was cheap. After checking what was available on Amazon and reading the various reviews, this seemed to be the best single disc anthology which included his later work.

I've just finished listening to it, the longest I've ever listened to Johnny Cash at one sitting -21 tracks, clocking at around an hour, and ranging from his earliest (Ring of Fire), a couple of his prison recordings, a duet with his wife, the excruciating A Boy Named Sue, culminating with a good selection of his late life recordings with Rick Rubin which include impressive versions of Personal Jesus, One, and Hurt. Apart from Sue, I pretty much really enjoyed all of it.

Needless to say, I'll be getting more. Already on order is the extended 2-disc set of Live at Folsom Prison/Live at San Quentin. I've added a 3-disc set of his Sun recordings to my Wish List (both these sets are only a fiver each), and if I haven't overdosed on JC by then, I may well pick up the Rick Rubin CDs.

Don't know why it's happened, but since retiring a year and a half ago, I seem to be more open to  new music than I've been for decades. Rather than retrenching in attitudes and taste as I get older, my horizons are expanding. I think that's great. At this rate I may even start liking Rap. (Joke.)

No comments: