Sunday 21 June 2009

Things I Didn't Expect To Like (But Did): 1



(See also entries for: Lady Gaga, Skins.)

Despite having an enormous tolerance, appetite even, for low culture such as trash horror movies, even I wouldn't have given Michael Bay's first Transformers movie the time of day and for two very good reasons.

I agree with the general critical view of Michael Bay in that he makes loud, stupid, lousy movies. I've only liked one, that being The Rock.

I was way too old for Transformers to barely even register on my radar when they first appeared as a cartoon series and comics which were just cash-ins for the kids toys they originated as. Admittedly I did have a liking for (and one I kept very quiet about) the Thundercats cartoon series, though I probably wouldn't have had if they'd been named Thunderdogs.

The only reason I ever actually watched the Bay movie was when I found a few recently donated DVDs in our charity shop and I picked this one up with a couple of others to borrow. I didn't expect to watch more than about twenty minutes of it but I was at loose end. But, much to my surprise, bugger me, it was fun; it was slick and well-made, had a sense of humour, a pretty girl, and piled on the dumb action.

So why am I mentioning it now? Well, the release of the sequel has given me a hankering to watch it again but, as I took the DVD I did watch back to the shop, I've just had to buy a copy from Amazon Marketplace. It's the double-disc edition for less than a fiver and I can always add it to my seller list if I decide twice is enough or if my initial impression that it was fun, rather than being another big dumb stupid Bay movie, was wrong.

No comments: