Wednesday 24 June 2009

I Got It Today: 3.



Graphic Story: Gail Simone, Wonder Woman -Ends of the Earth

Simone is one of my favourite mainstream comic writers. She did a terrific job on DC's superheroine teamup book Birds of Prey and an even better one on Secret Six, her own put-together group of supervillains. When I first heard that she was going to write Wonder Woman my initial thought was that if it was only half as good as Birds of Prey it would be worth reading.

And that's about what I got.

(A fuller review appears on Amazon UK.)

CD: Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band Live 1975-85.

This is the second time I've bought this box set and for around the same price. The first time was 23 years ago, not that long after CDs started to become popular and when the real price was significantly higher, and in the extremely large format. I only had it for a year when it got stolen and it's taken me this long to replace one of the greatest live albums ever.

DVD: Devils of Darkness/Witchcraft

Part of the variable but generally good and extremely good value (got it for less than a fiver) Midnite Movies double feature series. Both British horror from 1965 (in colour) and 1964 (b/w), I saw the second one at the cinema at the time of its original release and remember it as a good chiller. The first I haven't seen before (I think).

Graphic Story: Howard Chaykin, American Flagg vols 1 & 2

A collection of one of the greatest American comics ever. Review above.

No comments: