Friday 26 June 2009

I got it today: 4







DVD: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)

What? No! I didn't get all the DVDs today. What kind juvenile saddo do you think I am? No, I got the bottom two before I started this blog.

Okay, all right, yes I am going through a Godzilla phase at the moment. It happens every few years when I forget how bad some of them are and start picking up some I haven't seen before.

The last three movies shown are 1990's Godzilla and form a trilogy linked by a slight actor overlap. They aren't bad at all except for one thing -they feature Godzilla Junior. I share the same attitude towards baby monsters with round goggle eyes as I do towards cute kids in these movies. I WANT GODZILLA TO ROAST THEM WITH HIS RADIOACTIVE BREATH!

But sadly, he never does.

The top one is from around the early 70's but, unlike the amazingly crazy G vs Hedorah, this is crap. Godzilla seems to be barely in it. There is a sequence early on where he takes on Anguirus which is a bit like you tackling a kitten. Anguirus walks on his knees, buries himself a lot, and attacks by rolling himself into a spiky ball. Mechagodzilla appears pretending to be Big G by wearing a Big G suit but this gets damaged so easily you wonder why he bothered. King Caesar is a sort of rubbish furry Godzilla and his method of attack is to body-charge MechaG while it's being held by the real G. It isn't terribly effective. But most of the film is spent with puny humans and aliens who look just like humans until they're killed or damaged whereupon they put on masks which make them look as if they're auditioning for Planet of the Apes.

This is usually the point where I stop buying Godzilla DVDs for a few years.

Post Script (16.24)

But not this time.

I've just ordered the previous three in the mid-period series and I think I'll order the first one -Return of Godzilla- which I saw on video around the time of its release as Godzilla 1985. Anyway, at £5.49 each, post free, from Hong Kong, they're quite cheap and have a higher resale value on Amazon.

No comments: