Wednesday 10 June 2009

MUSIC: Gone Ga-Ga



Going ga-ga, in British English, means going mad; see: loopy, loony, off their trolley, etc.

I would appear to have come down with this condition in relation to Lady Gaga. For my introduction to her music, see the Skins 3 essay elsewhere on this blog. Suffice to say, this (and watching her perform on Ellen DeGeneres show) encouraged me to buy the CD. Have to say it's one of the most consistently good albums I've have heard. 13 out the 14 (ignoring any bonus whathaveyous) tracks are of a very high standard: all different, all memorable, all very enjoyable despite being a kind of music I don't usually listen to. This is just very good stuff which transcends its genre.

If her second album maintains this standard then comparisons to Madonna will seem to be flattering the latter singer. I'm almost looking forward to Ms Germanotta's next effort as much as I am Skins 4. Style and substance: I'm impressed.

No comments: