Friday 12 June 2009

MUSIC: The High Cost of Neil Young

I'm a big fan of Neil Young and have been for 35 years (give or take). For several (indeed several several) years, I and thousands of Young fans have been patiently awaiting the release of the first of Neil's Archive volumes which purportedly contained masses of new unreleased material.

Well, the first one is finally out and while the music is apparently excellent, the lack of new material falls far short of what was expected. Nevertheless I still I wanted a copy. However, the cheapest price I could find was Amazon for around £86.00. Bugger that for a game of soldiers. Nearly ninety quid for eight CDs!

Then I had a brainwave -not unusual for me, I admit, but still... I'd check the Amazon USA price. Aaaand, when I converted dollars to pounds, then, including the postage, it worked out at around £46.00. Sold! It's on its way to me now. And if (unlikely as it seems) I don't like it, then I can always sell it on Amazon Marketplace and still make a small profit. I checked just before writing this and the current cheapest price is £57.00. But the highest-

The highest price is £160.07 and it's available for this tidy sum from -and you are going to love this- CHEAPCDSDVDS!

POST SCRIPT

I've noticed that for expensive items, it's often cheaper to buy from Amazon USA than UK. Also winging their way to me are Gilbert Hernandez' epic graphic story Luba, True Blood the complete first season and it hasn't even aired in the UK yet*, and Woodstock the super duper Blu Ray, enhanced with bucket loads of extras DVD (see Harry Knowles review on Aint it cool news). Come soon, come soon.

* I'm taking a chance here as I've only seen a brief clip but I've read some of the books and the reviews make it sound great.

No comments: