Monday 22 February 2010

DVD: AKIRA KUROSAWA

I'm having an Akira Kurosawa season.

Kurosawa is regarded as one of the finest directors in movie history. He had an intensely profilic period from 1943 to the mid-60s which produced movies such as Rashomon, Seven Samurai*, Ikuru, Yojimbo, and Red Beard* (his last collaboration with Toshiro Mifune after 15 films together). After that he barely managed one movie every five years or so though they were generally worth waiting for and included Dodeskaden (1970), Derzu Uzala (1975), and his two late flowering masterpieces Kagemusha* (1980) and Ran* (1985). Of these, I've only seen Dodeskaden and Kagemusha before.

* These are DVDs I've bought and will review as I get through them. Unless, of course, I decide I've had a brainfart and wonder why the hell I bought them in the first place, though I hope not. Assuming I enjoy them as much as I anticipate, I may well be adding other titles.
Toshiro Mifune in Seven Samurai

No comments: