Tuesday 16 February 2010

CD, DVD, JUST ARRIVED

20 of her best songs with a running time of nearly 79 minutes. This is as good as Rock music gets. She is a goddess.

By all accounts, this is one of the masterpieces of cinema. At nearly 3  hours long and filmed entirely in the studio, it consists of four tales based on stories by Lafcadio Hearn. I've only just started watching it, finishing the first tale and it is impressive and beautifully photographed. The edition I have includes a 70page book which comprises the original stories and an interview with the director Masako Kobayashi which I'll read once I've finished watching the DVD.

Me being me, I've since ordered two films by Akira Kurosawa -Kagemusha (which I saw nearly 30 years ago at the cinema) and Ran. No doubt there will be more Japanese classics to come (Seven Samurai and Redbeard have been added to my Amazon wish list) and for once I'm not talking about Godzilla. 'bout time I treated myself to some proper culture.

No comments: