Wednesday 2 November 2011

BOOK/DVD REVIEW: TWO HORROR-THEMED REVIEWS

Just thought I'd try it. 
3* review.

Sometimes I miss a really good show on TV and then later get tempted by the DVD season 1 at a cheap price and discover they're brilliant. Examples of this include Chuck, Eureka, How I Met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, and (quite a while ago now) Firefly, none of which I can now imagine being without. So I thought I'd give Supernatural a try.

Well, it isn't one of them. It's perfectly okay, I watched all the episodes and mildly enjoyed it but it didn't knock my socks off, though the last few episodes were quite good. For me the main weakness was the lack of an ensemble cast which all the above shows that I've cited have and you can add Buffy as another example (though I was a fan of that from the first episode). While the leads were actually better than I expected (which was that I feared I might hate them) and quite likeable, meeting a new cast of characters every time and knowing that you're never going to see them again tends to detract from your (well, my) viewing pleasure, though Jeffrey Dean Stanton cropping up from time to time was a welcome bonus. Maybe things improve on that front in later seasons -I'll check Wikipaedia. A touch more humour would also help -it worked in Buffy.

I will probably buy season 2 when I'm a bit short of something to watch but right now I'm going to start on How I Met Your Mother season 6. 
 
Superficial but fun. 
4* review.
 
Basically this is a picture book for horror/monster movie fans. On that level it succeeds admirably containing a wide range of stills and movie posters -the latter often being better than the movies they are advertising. The short text accompanying each picture manages to be informative, sometimes critical, sometimes funny which is pretty good going when the entry is less than 50 words long.

For relative newcomers to the genre, this is a good, albeit far from definitive, guide providing a more than ample selection of movies you'll want to watch. For the long-time monster fan like me, it's a great piece of nostalgia with a complete list of all movies mentioned (and a list of names -mainly actors and directors) which is great because when I have a bit more time, I'm going to go through that list, count how many I've actually seen, and try and check out the ones which seem interesting from the remainder.

Landis loses a point for not including a section on monster plants like one of my favourites 'Matango, Fungus of Terror', though he does mention 'Day of the Triffids'. 
 
The following image appears just because it was there.
And so does this.
And one more for luck.

No comments: