Friday 23 April 2010

CINEMA: KICK-ASS

I'm going to keep this brief.

Great fun movie but I can't understand why some reviewers (hello Daily Mail and hello -really surprisingly- to Roger Ebert) are getting their knickers in a twist over it.

In some ways I like it better than the book, It's more upbeat and less cynical than the graphic novel, plus I don't have to look at John Romita's artwork. The cast is uniformly excellent, especially scene stealing Chloe Moretz. 

In some ways, I don't like it better than the book. Not so keen on Big Daddy wearing a Batman-style suit rather than the wrappings in the book. I prefer the surpriseof Big Daddy's secret to his straightforward origin in the movie. The end of the movie is a little too superheroic, though I do like the happy end.

On the whole though, this is an excellent adaptation, a well-made and enjoyable action-movie and I'll definitely be buying the DVD when it comes out.

No comments: