Wednesday 22 July 2009

PERSONAL GROOMING: I Cut My Hair (And I Liked It)




I really meant to try it.


And that's enough of that. I was going do this whole entry as a parody of that song but it wasn't original and it wasn't that funny in the first place, so-

I cut my hair; not just a quick snip of some sticky-up bit; not sticking tiny scissors up by nose; and not trimming back the ear hair. (I used to work with someone whose ear hair was so long and thick you could have taken a brush and comb to it and styled it.) No, this morning I cut my hair, for the first time ever, with a professional pair of Wahl Super Taper Hair Clippers. I could have bought a cheaper pair of Wahls but opted for the professional and better reviewed item. The cheaper one came with an instructional DVD, the professional didn't, Mr or Ms Wahl obviously assuming it wasn't necessary. Pity.

The reason I decided to give it a try was because I don't like going to the barber's and put it off as long as possible and then have it very short -No.2 setting. Deciding that it couldn't be that difficult, I thought I may as well do it myself and, over time, save money.

After doing it, I took my wife a cup of tea in bed and pointed out what I'd done. She wasn't impressed. The top was almost acceptable but I could not go out in public with the back of my head as it was. I went back downstairs and had another go. She still wasn't happy but allowed that I could be seen in public.

I went swimming.

Then, it being Wednesday morning, met Denise & Sylvia, my two retired ex-colleagues, for coffee. As they're always willing to find something about me to laugh at I told them what I'd done. Surprisingly they found my efforts perfectly acceptable. "Let's face it," Sylvia said, "who looks at you anyway?" She meant it in a general sense rather than personal. I think.

For a first attempt I'm reasonably pleased and should do better next time. As long as it's reasonably short I'm quite happy with my hair so, as Susan prefers it a bit longer, I might use the No.3 setting next time.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: