Sunday 19 July 2009

I GOT IT TODAY: 9



Two freebies from the Amazon Vine program. Once a month members of Vine (who are invited to join by Amazon) are sent a personalised list of items they can select for review. Mostly it's books I rarely want to read, sometimes software, occasionally a DVD or two. It can be hit or miss but it tends towards miss. I'm not really complaining as, hell, they're freebies and all Amazon ask in return is a review. They also send them out very quickly -I order on Thursday evening and they often arrive by Saturday morning. This month's order arrived yesterday and I got-

DVD: Claymore (Manga, 2009, 2 discs, 228mins)
I'm about halfway through and so far it's a little better than I was expecting.

EAR PHONES: Sennheiser CX 300-II ECO Noise-Isolating Ear-Canal Phones - Black
Here's my Amazon review.

Amazon Title: Wow!
Rating: 5 stars.

First time I've ever used this manufacturer's ear phones but it certainly won't be the last. The machine is my 160Gb Ipod Classic. The earpieces fitted perfectly snugly into (wait for it) my ears and then I began with a test to destruction.

Neil Young (with guest Chrissie Hynd's) balls against the wall sonic assault on 'All Along The Watchtower' on loud and it just about fried my brain. This is a good thing. Despite the volume everything came over perfectly and, yes, the bass, was great.

Next up Lady Gaga's 'I like it rough' for a synthesiser test. Perfect.

Next up a little Blues courtesy my main man Lightnin' Slim. Man, I coulda been in the studio down on the bayou.

Finally Fotheringay (Sandy Denny's) 'Banks of the Nile', as delicate and haunting a piece of folk-rock as has ever been heard. And, yes, even this oh so familiar piece had just the faintest extra resonance.

Oh yes, these are good and do what they say they do. Sennheiser CX 300-II ECO Noise-Isolating Ear-Canal Phones - Black rock!

No comments: