Monday 15 August 2011

HEALTH: DENTISTS ARE GETTING YOUNGER

I've been having regular problems with a bottom right molar. Every time it gets filled, the filling drops out within a few days, or even hours. It's not a major problem, or it wasn't until recently when it started to particularly nag. So I arranged to have it removed. I took the earliest appointment which wasn't with my regular dentist as I don't care who does it.

When I entered the surgery I couldn't see the dentist, but the dental nurse had her teenage daughter with her. She looked about fourteen. Except, of course, it wasn't her daughter but the dentist who had to be around 23-25, but she really did look fourteen.

And if you think I'm going to be patronising, I'm not. She was extremely careful and, after checking my teeth thoroughly, had the dental nurse take me upstairs for my first dental x-ray in over a decade. Studying the result, she first pointed to a thin line which travelled down my cheek and along the base of my teeth passing very close to the problematic molar. Because it would be so easy to damage this nerve, it was something which couldn't be done in general practice and would refer me to the hospital. She also noticed a black area under my teeth and in the gum. She suspected this might be the remains of an old cyst but that would also need checking at the hospital.



Image from Google

I'm impressed. My regular dentist (male, ten years older at least) would have just whipped the tooth out. Next time I go, I'll make sure to ask for her again.


Now all I have to do is to wait the 4-6 weeks it takes to get an appointment at the hospital.

Note.

For non-UK readers, we pay a nominal banded fee for dental treatment. The one I've just had cost me £47.00. Treatment at the hospital will be on the National Health Service and is, therefore, free.

No comments: