Thursday 18 August 2011

CINEMA/TV: YOUR FAVOURITE ACTORS

Who are they?

Why do you like them?

After writing the previous post about tv shows I liked, I started asking myself these questions after thinking about which actors I would watch no matter what they were in. The list is short, though I may have forgotten some: Nathan Fillion, Julie Benz, (and of late) Dana Delany, possibly Sarah-Jane Potts, though she's usually in supporting roles so she's sadly easy to miss.

Then I thought of other actors I'd been taken with recently. There's Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski of Chuck. And in the same show, though I've liked him for a while, Adam Baldwin. I'd never heard of Colin Ferguson before Eureka but he's definitely on the list. You could squeeze in Bruce Campbell but he's been in some fucking awful films.

With one exception, these actors all have one thing in common that transcends sex and genre. Any thoughts spring to mind? Take your time, I'm not going anywhere. Okay, you can shout it out now and see if it's what I think.

Likeability.

Specifically, they all have gift for displaying humour and also charm and this is what I find so appealing about these actors. 

The exception is Julie Benz who is usually in straight dramatic roles but does have a rarely displayed gift for comedy which I suspect gets overlooked because, apart from being gorgeous, she's such a good dramatic actor. I remember reading about the cast in Buffy would all turn up when Benz was doing doing a scene just because she is so good. Sadly even she couldn't prevent her latest show An Ordinary Family from cancellation after one season.

All these actors manage to lift whatever they are in and they all manage to make me smile (and drool in the case of Benz). They cheer me up as do the shows they are in. (Is it the singer or song?)

It's possible that this tells you more about me than about any of the actors I've mentioned. Shows they've been in which I've watched but haven't mentioned above, include: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Castle, Desperate Housewives, Sugar Rush series 2 (C4's teen lesbian comedy-drama with Olivia Hallinan and Lenora Crichlow), The Evil Dead series. Basically light entertainment with a leaning towards genre. But it's significant that I haven't singled out actors from more serious shows which I've also enjoyed -Battlestar Galactica springs to mind.

Whatever.

What I do know is that you should be watching anything with these actors in it because no matter how good or bad it is they all make it better.


Footnote.
A name several of them have in common, which may or may not be significant is: Joss Whedon.

No comments: