Wednesday 2 September 2009

BOOKS: PULP SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY







About a year ago I reviewed for Amazon Robert E. Howard's The Complete Chronicles of Conan (Gollancz, 2006), being just what it says but with the virtue of containing the original text rather than any rewriting by people like L. Sprague de Camp or (shudder) Lin Carter. At the end of the review I added that I hoped they would do a companion volume featuring some of Howard's other pulp heroes. Today, while looking up something else, I came across Conan's Brethren (see above) which will be published by Gollancz in the middle of October and is just what I wished for.

In the 'Customers who bought this also bought...' section I came across Henry Kuttner's Elak of Atlantis which led me to his The Dark World, a couple of pulp adventures from the 40's. Kuttner was one of the better SF writers to emerge in during that period (his classic is Mutant), often writing in collaboration with his wife C.L. Moore. By then I couldn't resist his SF adventure novel Fury (1947), sadly the plain yellow Gollancz edition going cheap.He died far too young in 1958 at the age of only 43 when he was just hitting his peak. I haven't read anything by him in decades but I'm looking forward to reading these ancient pulp action fantasies of his which I should be receiving over the next couple of weeks.

The publisher of the Kuttner books is new to me but they are doing a series of pulp reissues and I've added Moore's Northwest of Earth to my Amazon wish list for future consideration.

Post Script

I've since deleted the above book because the stories, plus those of Jirel of Joiry, are available together in an Gollancz Fantasy Masterworks omnibus pb entitled Black Gods & Scarlet Dreams which I've just ordered in a 'like new' condition for £5.60 (inc. postage) from an American dealer. It's not as nice looking an edition but it's much better value and the Fantasy Masterworks is an excellent series.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: