Friday 18 September 2009

BOOKS: "I THINK I'M GOING BACK..."

Photo: Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore

Oddly, just when I think I'm opening up to new music, I find myself more attracted to the kind of books I read when I was much younger. I'm talking Science Fiction here. for at least half my life I lived and breathed SF and I still can't quite leave it behind. I still regard myself as a Science Fiction fan even though my days as someone actively involved in SF Fandom are long goneand I don't read that much SF these days.

That said, I've recently bought and read Henry Kuttner's (and no doubt written with his wife CL Moore) The Dark World (see my Amazon review) and Fury. I'm about to read his Elak of Atlantis sword and sorcery stories from the late 30's. I've ordered a massive collection (900pps) of his & Moore's short stories. I've also ordered (from Amazon.com) 4 volumes of the complete short stories of Roger Zelazny and (from the same publisher, Nesfa Press) the complete short stories of Cordwainer Smith.

I've got the latest Iain Banks (one of my favourite mainstream authors, along with Haruki Murakami) contemporary novel Transition to read downstairs and yet all I want to do is read pulp fiction about Elak of Atlantis. Maybe I'm just in a nostalgic mood which will pass.

And yet, and yet, I've been buying quite a few compilation CDs of rock artists I've liked for years. But what really worries me is that I put on my Amazon wish list a compilation by Peter Paul & Mary who I liked when I was 14 and hadn't yet heard of Bob Dylan. Now that is surely going too far.

I shall write more on this when it isn't so late at night and I am less influenced by almost a full bottle of Banrock Station's Shiraz-Mataro, my favourite Australian plonk.

Post Script

It's the following morning, I'm sober, and I've removed the PP&M CD from my Wish List. It really is just too twee musically for me. If I'd bought that, what would be next -Barry Manilow?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: