Wednesday 23 September 2009

STUFF I GOT: DVDs, MUSIC DOWNLOAD, GRAPHIC NOVELS, BOOKS






And in reverse order we start with Alan Moore & David Lloyd's Absolute V for Vendetta. DC Comics Absolute editions are wonderful things to have -larger than originally printed, packed (usually, sometimes more, sometimes less) with additional material in a hardback and cased. This is one of the earlier work that made Moore's name as the greatest comics writer of our time. I've also got the first volume of Moore's more recent work The Absolute Promethea on order which features amazing artwork by JH Williams.

Fables The Dark Ages by writer Bill Willingham and a variety of artists is the latest in the Fables series. The premise is that the Fables (creatures from myth, fairy tales, legends, folk tales and more recent fiction like the Wind in the Willows) have been driven from their worlds to earth by an evil emperor. In this, vol.12, the Fables have won the war against the Empire and now have to face the unexpected consequences of victory which are far darker than they could have imagined or even currently know. This is a scene-setter for what's to come but is no less entertaining than what's gone before and Fables is probably the best comic DC/Vertigo have got at the moment.

I've reviewed the Roger Zelazny thriller for Amazon but it hasn't appeared yet and, assuming it does, I'll reprint that here.

The Big Bang Theory was an impulse when I saw it on Amazon for under £9.00. I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen but never made a point of watching it regularly. If I had I would have probably bought the DVD sooner as it's one of the funniest series I've ever seen. The fact that the main characters are geeks -into superhero comics and science fiction movies (as well as fantasy gaming)- has nothing to do with it, more the wonderful dialogue, intelligent jokes, and likeable if intensely annoying characters. Sheldon is an amazing creation who must be seen to be believe. Season 2 is out in mid-October and I've already ordered it.

I've just got, as a download, Alela Diane's latest album To Be Still and have only played it once. I suspect it will take a few more to fully appreciate it. It's nominally folk in that it's mostly acoustic but the songs are all self-penned and come across as a sort of mix between Sandy Denny's Fairport Convention and Joni Mitchell. Delicate and pleasant but needs careful listening.

Folk-Rock was big when it evolved in the late 60's but I believe there's no real difference between it and Folk Music these days as many 'authentic' folk artists will employ rock instrumentation and folk music anthology albums blend both without needing to make note of any difference. Just thought I'd mention it.

Also arrived but I'll probably save it for a proper review is Outlander, a DVD featuring Vikings and a human-like alien versus an alien monster. Looking forward to it.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: