Thursday 27 August 2009

NEWSPAPERS: The Daily Mail & the Lesbian Teacher

I'm always willing to do a bit Daily Mail bashing as I dislike their right wing political stance and their conservative social views. These, to judge from email comments on articles I've read, tend to be out of tune with their readership which is more liberal (see earlier posts).

This time I'm focussing on an article about a 26 year old woman who had a consensual affair with a 15 year old pupil. Much to my surprise, rather than being censorious, the article was balanced and not without some sympathy for the woman, Helen Goddard, who is currently awaiting sentencing. The girl is, by all accounts, mature for her age, Goddard less so, and the girl wants to resume the relationship once she's 16. Goddard has, as far as the Mail knows, not had any prior lesbian affairs.


I emailed my own comment, which was duly printed-

Anyone who can't muster at least some sympathy for this vulnerable young woman must have a very cold heart. I do not believe she is a predator so much as someone who fell in love with someone and let her feelings overrule her common sense. She does not deserve a prison sentence.

However, for a change, the majority of Mail readers take a more censorious view, some commenting that the Mail would not have been so lenient with a male teacher doing this, indeed the paper would be calling for his head. My comments get a fair number of approving votes, but the majority would lock her up.


This doesn't mean I think she was right. She should not have had any physical contact with an under-age girl, especially her pupil. If they had waited a few months, she wouldn't be in this mess now. I hope both of them are going to come out of this okay, whether together or not.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: