Saturday 29 May 2010

CD: GLEE THE MUSIC, VOLUME 3, SHOWSTOPPERS, DELUXE

An Amazon 4-star review (slightly expanded).

Third to be release, third in quality.



Admittedly it could just be me but I think that the song choices this time around aren't as strong as on the previous albums. It doesn't help that it opens with one of my least favourite Beatles songs and that I'm not a big Beatles fan in the first place. No matter, it picks up again straight after with Gives You Hell and there are lots of good songs like Total Eclipse of the Heart, One, Dream On (a great two-hander by Morrison and Harris), Safety Dance (given the poignancy that it's a fantasy number sung by the wheelchair-bound Artie), and Rose's Turn from Chris Colfer. But there are just a few two many so-so songs and at least one serious misstep with Poker Face. And not enough rock songs, but then again maybe that's just me.

What I'd really like is a DVD of the musical numbers from the show as the songs are all stronger set in the context and the dance routines don't hurt either. 

Incidentally, I don't know what is 'deluxe' about it as there appear to be no other editions, neither ordinary nor mega deluxe. Bollocks.

No comments: