Friday 23 September 2011

SHOPPING ONLINE: SMUG GIT HAS THE TABLES TURNED ON HIM -AMAZON UK vs AMAZON USA REVISITED

In August I wrote a post about how it was sometimes cheaper to buy from Amazon.com than Amazon UK and cited the example of a new Grateful Dead live album.
I wrote:

I checked the Az UK price -£19.65- which struck me as a little expensive for only a 2-disc set, so I checked Az.com.

I was quite shocked to find that their price was only 12 dollars and change. I added it to my basket and went through the procedure until it put on the postage which I then converted into pounds and it came to £12 and change. a saving of seven, or more than a third. Naturally I went ahead and confirmed the order.

So, there you have it. It pays to check Az.com prices for some items now and again as you could save yourself some money. 
 
I got an email to say it had been dispatched and checked AZ.com for reviews, then the UK site to see if any had appeared there. And, guess what, the UK price had dropped to £9.99. Also I must have made a mistake with converting the dollar price because when I checked again, after receiving an email from AZ.com to say the price had gone down by three dollars, it had still ended up costing me £15.40. 
 
Boy, do I feel stupid. Still, I've learned something: in future cases when it looks like the American site is significantly cheaper for an item, wait until the damn thing is actually released to make sure it's stayed that way.
 
 

No comments: